Posted .

In addition to all the scary sights and sounds you will encounter this Halloween, even the treats can at times be a bit haunting. Some candies are less abrasive to your teeth than others, such as chocolate, which can be easily washed away. But some treats, such as those sticky sour snacks, can linger behind, and cause additional harm. Below are six spooky secrets about sour sweets:

– Even brushing before and after eating highly acidic sour candies can lead to decalcification.
– Citric acid, which is prevalent in many foods and beverages, including sour treats, has been proven to be twice as destructive to dental enamel as nitric acid and even hydrochloric acid.
– Your teeth begin to decalcify at pH levels below 4.0. Many sour treats are far more acidic, and can go as low as 1.6. For comparison, battery acid has a pH level of 1.0.
– Enamel is the hardest material in the human body, but the acidity of sour candy is so strong, it has the power to strip away the precious enamel protecting your teeth.
– Sucking on sour candy increases the risk of tooth decay and enamel loss.
– The pH in sour candies is especially destructive to the dental enamel of children, who have immature dental enamel, and tend to consume larger quantities of the treats.

If you would like to speak with our talented team of experts at Grace Family Dental, please call us at 508-471-5181 or stop by our office in Worcester, Massachusetts. We wish you a safe and happy Halloween!